Saturday 6 December 2008

Thanet Newsround

I've been pretty lax at updating the old blog the last few weeks. So, I thought one way back into the swing of things could be for me to pick out some key features from the local news publications. Inclusion on this round up is just stuff that catches my eye, not necessarily of the most importance:

From The Isle of Thanet Gazette, Friday Dec 5th, 2008.

"Six-Figure Spruce-Up"
A curious article gushing over the owners of Dreamland, the Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company, supposedly planning to 'do up' the delightful shopping centre at the top of the High Street. Shall we await with baited breath on this one? Things have gone so well for Dreamland. Mind you, could it be any worse than what's there?

"Bob light up the town"
You might be surprised to hear what annoys me about this article. No, it's not Bob and his Kent TV. It's the referral to The Parade opposite Margate Harbour as "The Piazza". Just stop it! It's The Parade. There's no need to rebrand it an italian name. The Parade has done nicely for years and years as, erm, The Parade. Pretentious rubbish and where did the reporter from the Gazette get off rebranding it?

8 comments:

  1. I just hope that whem margate town partnership do up the centre they don't get rid of the lovely statue outside peacocks,It is a goddess of the sea and stands on driftwood and I think is made of bronze really lovely..
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you blogging again MA. Can I just put Lily right? Unfortunately the Margate Town Cenre Regeneration Company has succeeded in confusing as intended - they are a commercial organisation associated with Jimmy Godden, and not the Margate Town Partnership who put on events and give advice to Margate traders. BTW I agree the statue is great and hope they keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get with it the parade is the piazza now move on fella. Everyone is calling it piazza. Even dog walkers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a load of pretentious clap trap with delusions of grandeur. Who cares what dog walkers call it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was'nt talking about the parade MA and anon 15:36 but the town Centre.Thank you for that info Lizzie M.
    And You may think the piazza is clap trap etc-but the views from there are breathtaking and the cafe's are really good and at least people are trying to make things better(Free Jazz,kite festivals,carnivals,free childrens workshops etc)some people DO care unlike MA.Lily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear. My point is that I object to it being called an italian name that seems pretentious. It's original name, the name it still has, The Parade, is fine. Doesn't mean the views are any less enjoyable. I do enjoy the cafes and the views. I also like the original name. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In defence of MA, I think MA actually does care and is a part of trying to make things better. He/she is just passionate about things being right. Give some space?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok yes sorry,I got the wrong end of the stick!
    Lily

    ReplyDelete